Tragic Windfarm Death – Unanswered Questions
Guest essay by Eric Worrall
h/t ptolemy2 – According to BBC News, the family of 74yr old security guard Ronnie Alexander are looking for answers as to how he died of exposure while guarding the Afton wind farm during severe weather.
Family want answers over death in snow on wind farm
7 March 2018
The family of a security guard who died after becoming trapped in heavy snow on a remote wind farm are demanding answers about his death.
Ronnie Alexander, 74, was working at Afton wind farm in Ayrshire when he became stranded in severe weather.
His daughter, Tracy Fraser, has been told he may have lain in deep snow for up to seven hours before he was found.
She said the death of her “lovely, hard-working” father during bad weather in January had devastated the family.
When the family arrived at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, they were given the devastating news that Mr Alexander was unlikely to survive.
“When we got up there my dad was in intensive care and they said he had a 5% chance of living but they would try everything to help him,” Ms Fraser said. “And they really did.”
Mr Alexander, who lived in Kilmarnock, died later that morning.
“It’s just horrible, it should never have happened,” said Ms Fraser.
“There was nothing else wrong with him. Once they’d done the post-mortem, they said he’d died of hypothermia – that’s it.”
Britain has suffered thefts from wind farms in the past. The main target of thieves appears to be copper metal and any stray construction or computer equipment. Theft from worksites in Britain is a serious issue; I once had to visit a British worksite after hours, the guard dog was going mental, chasing off intruders every five minutes.
It does seem worrying that Mr. Alexander was not able to summon help when things went wrong. Possibly he wasn’t aware of the danger he was in, when the generator failed, until he became disoriented with cold.
My question – was Mr. Alexander carrying a PLB, a personal locator beacon, when he got into difficulties?
PLBs cost around two hundred dollars, but they can save your life. When activated by flipping open the antenna, a signal is sent via satellite directly to Emergency services, pinpointing the location of the person in distress.
via Watts Up With That? http://ift.tt/1Viafi3